From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 14:06:36 -0800
Hello all,

In addition to the discussion about the Getty AAT, I just today
received a review copy of the updated and expanded Library of
Congress "Thesaurus for Graphic Materials."

LCTGM, like AAT, is a very pertinent standardized vocabulary tool for
cataloging things found as subject in images. Though I do not have
the price listed, the LCTGM is excellent as a compliment to the AAT,
(we use them both), or for those institution on a shoestring budget,
the LCTGM is very modestly priced, a portion of what the AAT costs.

Both the AAT and LCTGM have undergone major revisions in the past
several years and everyone should know that they are truly remarkable
tools to use. While not being quite as fun as Pogs, GameBoy or
Gathering the Magic, these two standardized vocabulary toolsets can
steadfastly improve a collection management professional's ability to
move their institution forward in a comprehensive and visionary way.

Use AAT and LCTGM early; use AAT and LCTGM often.

Congratulations to Helena Zinkham and Elisabeth Betz Parker for a
very profound addition to our professional capability.

Robert MacKimmie
California Historical Society, San Francisco