From:
Bill Lazenby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 16:37:00 CDT
Greg,

I think that the real point to be considered is whether you are in
competition with your own institution.  Most well written ethics policies
that I have seen make the ethical conflict the result of competition.

Are these rare books that the library would purchase if it were aware of
them in the market place?  If so, does the library have the funds to
purchase them?  Did you give the library the first chance at them or a
chance to purchase them from you at your cost?

If these are currently available works, then there is no competition;  the
library can go purchase its own copies if it sees fit.  If the library lacks
funds to do so, then it is not unethical for you to continue your own
research with your own funds.

The ethics of personal collecting depends upon non-competition.  Staff
should declare their collecting interests, and either suspend acquisition
activities while working for an institution collecting in the same area, or
always give the institution the right of first refusal at the collectors
purchase price.

The best policy I am aware of that has been published is that of the Royal
Ontario Museum, "Statement of Principles and Policies on Ethics and
Conduct", 1982

Bill Lazenby

>The library may include in its collecting universe  works relating to
>American material, intellectual  and popular culture and social history.
> Since such works are commonly found in our personal collections, (our
>librarian is an active genealogist, I am actively researching American
>agricultural history, and American architecture) how should we view the
>development of our personal reference collections?  The museum, unlike
>university libraries does not have the funds to aquire works to support our
>researches.
>
>It seems foolish that such collecting should be proscibed for such interests
>are at the heart of our involvment in the field..  Yet AAM guidelines could
>be read to say we are unethical.

Bill Lazenby                                    Tel:    708-260-8187
Director of Museum Operations                   Fax:    708-260-9298
The First Division Museum at Cantigny           E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
1 South 151 Winfield Road                http://www.xnet.com/~fdmuseum
Wheaton, IL  60187-6097
USA