From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 1995 10:33:33 -0400

You need a PhD if you want to be a curator or director. An MA in Museum
Studies translates well to some, nada to other institutions. My advice to you
is get a good waitressing job, and volunteer as full time as you can at the
institution you want to work at. Wait for an opening or create your own and
convince them the budget can handle it. Plan on doing this for more than a
year, while you make yourself indespensible to your superiors and worthy of
the respect of your peers. Then, continue to write, attempt to publish
(Museum News, create a newsletter for your museum) and try to present at AAM,
etc. Finally, while you are doing all this, learn how to "merge" and get the
AAM directory of museums and send your resume out. Prepare for the worst and
hope for the best. While there is not a surplus of jobs available, this is
the most fulfilling work I've ever done. Best of luck to you!!!!