From:
Janet Mccrorey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 17:31:26 -0800
        I am a librarian who is a volunteer at the Bowers Museum
in Santa Ana CA, and I am requesting survey information for the
Curatorial Researcher who is a member of a task force to develop
the library into a research center.  Before that project can go
forward, however, the information gathering process must be done
to see if this development is even feasible.  The Bowers is not
connected electronically and is also in the process of securing
modern equipment to help this come about.  Funding is a major
problem.  There are four areas that this survey would like to
address: the library itself, budgets, library personnel, and
revenue generation.  Please respond any way and to any extent
that you feel comfortable.  It is not necessary to sign your
message. Here are the questions.

1.  What is the size of your library, both in square footage and
number of volumes?
2.  Does the library specialize to any extent and what area?
3.  How many on staff in the library? (Please provide general
description of duties).  What is the average full-time or part-
time salary for MLS professionals?
4.  Do you have support groups?  Do they volunteer, raise money,
or both?
5.  What is your operating budget without salaries?  If you do
not wish to respond with an exact amount, please give a range.
6.  What is your acquisitions budget?
7.  Do you have plans for revenue generation; which are
successful?  What other types of marketing of library resources
have you engaged in and what are the pros and cons.

This survey should be answered by the librarian or acting
librarian in your museum.  If your librarian does not subscribe
to Museum-L the Bowers would appreciate any museum professional
acting as a listserv go-between.  The answers will be warmly
received and all information will be kept confidential.  The
survey results that I tabulate will exclude the information
sources.  Thanks for your participation,
Janet McCrorey.