From:
Patricia Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 23:04:03 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>
           "=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCMEIwZiEhTjwbKEI=?=" writes:

> Dear Museum Colleagues,
> I wonder if somebody could kindly provide me with information of when the
Derb
> yshire Museum Service ceased their entire service in UK. Their service, whose
> YASUI Ryo
> Hyfong Inc.
> fax. (+81) 3-3496-2146
> Email: [log in to unmask]

I think it may have been in 1990-1991, when Derbyshire Museum Service
was very short of money.  Derbyshire County Council sold some art
from one of the museums in the Service and as a result was expelled
from the Museums Association.

Closure of loan services is continuing as a result of schools' budgets
being delegated to individual schools, rather than being centrally
held (i.e. individual schools have to buy the service, rather than
being forced to pay for it).  Others are continuing very sucessfully.

I think that you should contact The Group for Education in
Museums (GEM) in the UK, as they will be able to give you more information
about Derbyshire, and about loan services in general.  I only have an
old directory here at home, which gives the secretary as: Susan Morris,
63 Navarino road, LONDON E8 1AG - perhaps someone on museum-l has a more
up-to-date contact?

--
Patricia Reynolds
Keeper of Social History, Buckinghamshire County Museum / Freelance Curator

16 Gibsons Green
Heelands
Milton Keynes
MK13 7NH