From:
Ellen Giusti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 09:42:05 -0400
Francine Cote asked about Sonoguides, audioguides, acoustiguides...

"We are looking for users' experiences with sonoguides (acoustigudes,
audioguides...), operating with infrared system (like in Cite Cine
exhibition), especially in aquarium and/or zoological parc. "

The American Museum of Natural History has the Antenna audio guide system
with infrared sensors at  entrances to each gallery. The sensors trigger an
overview of the gallery with narration and sound effects (e.g., animal
noises in the hall of African Mammals). The infrared beam hits a sensor on
the top of the headset to turn on the appropriate CD ROM segment. VIsitors
love it, and most of the technical problems have been ironed out. I don't
know how this could work outdoors-in the museum the infrared beam is
located in doorways through which all visitors must pass. (Our system also
includes user entered numbers for information about specific objects.)

Ellen Giusti, Exhibition Evaluator
American Museum of Natural History
Exhibition Department
Central Park West at 79th Street