From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 12:57:14 -0700
This discussion has become very interesting, and as fervent support
mounts in all crowds and camps, I am very appreciative of Richard
Rinehart's (University Art Museum / Pacific Film Archive-UC Berkeley)
pertinent comment in a note to me. His two sentences represent the
golden hammer hitting the nail on the head:

"... I've actually reviewed NEH grants from museums where they
specify that they will be using "HTML 2.0 and some Netscape HTML
extensions". Netscape in general has avoided the standards groups
like CIMI, CNI, etc. ..."

Computer Interchange of  Museum Information (CIMI) is not a group of
slackers. Some of the best minds in the biz gather 'round the CIMI
table. It would be *nice* if their work were taken into consideration
along with the creation of trick, neato features. A vintage Cadillac
may have the flashiest fins of any American car, but it still
utilizes round wheels to drive around while looking good. The round
wheels are the standard that we are concerned about.

In a consumer market, the product should be driven by consumer
demand. If we as a user (consumer) base voice that they might want to
assure robust and comprehensive planning, they (Netscape) just might
include it. I think that our current work should be planned by
thinking ahead a decade or more. What do we want then, and lets start
building it now.

Robert MacKimmie