Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Richard Rabinowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 14:01:53 -0800
The Mutter Museum is certainly an odd place, and it's got many wonderful
and odd things,  but it is actually quite an important historical
artifact in itself.  Founded in the 1850s, if I remember right, it's a
museum collection that reflects medical study in an era when the body is
essentially impermeable (during life) to investigation.  Before radiology
and hematology, etc., the physician's tactile skills were important
diagnostic tools.  So it was really a hands-on museum for training
doctors to discern tumors, skeletal problems, etc., by touch.  At least
that was one of the important themes we developed in our master planning
for its redesign a decade ago.  Gretchen Worden, the director, is a
delight!  The museum is in the College of Physicians, 19 E 23 St, Phila,
215/563-3737..