Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Carla Morse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 17:44:00 +0000
----------

Original message:
      To: rnet([log in to unmask])
    From: CAN-HMCS-HNM
 Subject: The Silver Tribal Model
    Date: Thu 16 Nov 95
    Time: 18:59 GMT
    Form: Mail
Delivery: Regular
In the book "Destroyer Captain" by Roger Hill, Kimber & Co.  Ltd, 1975 and
Grafton Books, London, 1975 reprinted 1986, the author refers to "Auntie May"
(Mrs. D.C. Hanrahan), the widow of a  USN Captain who served in the American
Sixth Battle Squadron at Scapa Flow towards the end of World War One.

During World War Two Aunty May, with lavish generosity, mailed sundry comforts
such as socks, pullovers, balaclavas, and other warm clothing to the officers
and men serving in the Tribal Class destroyers of the Sixth Destroyer Flotilla
(there was no Sixth Battle Squadron at this time).

When the war was over the Admiralty invited Mrs Hanrahan to England and
presented her with a silver model of a Tribal Class destroyer, aboard HMS
ESKIMO.

Michael Cole-Hamilton, a supporter of our museum, whose father sailed in HMS
SIKH, and who was educated through a trust set up by Mrs Hanrahan, told us that
he remembers seeing the model in Aunty May's West End flat in London during the
1950's. The Hanrahans had no children.

We have already determined that the model is not in the National Maritime
Museum, Greenwich, the US Naval Academy Museum, Annapolis MD, or the Canadian
War Museum.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of the Silver Tribal Model or has access to
collection data bases which could lead to the model we would be grateful for
your help.  We are not trying to acquire this model, just determine where it is.

Bob Willson
HMCS HAIDA Naval Museum
Ontario Place
955 Lakeshore Blvd. W.