Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lois Brynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:25:39 -0500
As most of you know, funding for exhibits is rarely "sudden."
A good deal of discussion/exchange goes on usually prior to a
formal proposal to an outside funder.  It is critical that
during these exchanges it is made quite clear that the Musuem
sets the agenda for exhibit content/programs. Most funders
are quite agreeable.
        At the New England Science Center, for example, we tried
to have funders support exhibits that were in no way related to their
corporate products. However, we did mount a major exhibit supported
by New England Electric System which addressed energy use and
human impact. We were clear and out front with NEES about our
approach. It was a strong pro-activist exhibit which ran the
gamut from paleoclimatology to Margulis' theories of symbiogenesis
to Gaia. NEES had NO input. They loved the quality of the exhibit.
        The Musuem Director, leadership and appropriate Board
committees need to EXPLICTLY address this issue and then stand
firm on policy. When lucre wags vision you end up with no Musuem
at all, just a three-D advertisement.

Lois