Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Maurice D Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 1995 11:33:22 EST
If you are keen on getting information into a database why not try
an intermediate platform to capture information only.
We use PCfile the DOS version because it can be used on a variety
of machines and by people with divergent skills. WE use templates
for each category of information recorded etc artifacts, archival,
bibliographic, ship lists etc.
What do we do next? Donor information is exported into MSaccess while
collections information is uploaded to our Collections Catalogue and Ship
Lists Data Bases at Queens University for online access anywhere in the
world. Prior to being uploaded we convert the records to a MARC format.
All of the current relational data bases have good import features
especially for standard off the shelf DB products. So if you are looking for
a quick cheap way of recording information knowing that the whistles and
bells will come later then this method might suit you. (PCfile is shareware)
Let me know if you want more information.

Maurice D. Smith, Curator, Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston.