Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Matthew Bates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 09:23:12 -0500
I would like your opinion. I think this is of general interest and there
is a lot of confusion with the term. Eventually I would like to offer an
overview of interactivity, as it relates to exhibitmaking, on my website.
Your input on this would be most appreciated.

After 14 years in the field the best answer I've come up with is from the
book "The Media Lab" by Steward Brand. The book outlines a working
definition developed at the MIT Media Lab. I offer a summary below.....

....from the book;

   Interactivity is mutual and simultaneous activity on the part of
both/each participant/s, usually working toward some goal, but not
necessarily.

   Interactivity embodies several unique characteristics which have been
named interuptability, graceful degradation, limited look-ahead,
no-default and an impression of an infinite database. Meaning...

      Interuptability; Each participant has the ability to interupt
another. Without this the interaction can break down to alternation or
further to lecturing. The medium must have an acceptably small granularity
with respect to the participants needs to interupt.
      Graceful Degradation; Interactive systems have a way of
incorporating things that come up for which there is no immediate answer.
Errors or missing information don't stop the system.
      Limited Look-Ahead; The interaction is not planned out too far ahead
allowing for twists and turns that come up as a matter of course.
      No Default; There is no set path that the interaction will follow.
The interaction is fully the resposibility and creation of the
participants.
      Impression of an Infinite Database; There needs to be an element of
mystery and adventure where choices can be made at any stage into the
previously unknown. Otherwise if all outcomes are known, all routes
travelled, there is no purpose to the interaction and it breaks down into
selection or further into routine and habit.

--
Matthew Bates
Mystus Interactus  >>Interactive Exhibit Components & Development<<