Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
GLYN BALKWILL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 02:05:00 +0200
Peter Volk wrote:

PV>What database software are you using for collection management? Any
  >feedback gratefully appreciated.

We use DataEase 4.53 r 1. I am very happy with it, although with some
forms now having approx 500 000 records its getting a bit slow for
complicated reports ( 4 - 66 fields ordered or grouped). I suspect
that this is a function of the network technology (Arcnet, Novell
3.11)), however, but don't have a stand alone with a big enough hard
drive to test this unfortunately (smaller databases do  respond far
quicker on stand alones).

I'll be upgrading some of the databases to the full Windows version over
December. I experimented with the original Windows version (DataEase
Express) but didn't convert because it didn't have the full DQL
capability - IMHO the most important part of any database software one
uses in museums.

This is my main objection to some of the off-the-shelf applications
one gets allegedly for collections management - they don't have an
easy-to-use DQL capability - one has to write code if you really want
to answer some of the really obscure queries one gets. After all, I
don't think it takes any less time to process an item on a
computerised system - what you really want your software to do is give
more comprehensive quick access to the collection by identifying
rapidly which items really comply with the end users needs.

Glyn Balkwill
National Cultural History Museum
Pretoria, South Africa