Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Richard Shockley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 1995 16:07:25 -0700
On Nov. 02 Robt. A. Baron said:

>While this new diversity has had beneficial effects in terms of broadening
>its appeal, at the same time, I believe, the new MCN has made it more
>difficult for like-minded members to form and sustain sub-communities.  If
>the MCN listserv ever develops into a busy forum for communication like
>museum-l or vra-l, it may be possible to sustain the kind of specialized
>discussions appropriate to groups sharing narrow interest areas.
>
>In this regard, I disagree with the policy of limiting the listserv to MCN
>members only.  Were it completely open, I believe, aside from informing
>members of MCN affairs, it would serve a double duty as a means of
>communication with non-MCN individuals and institutions.  Through their
>involvement in the listserv, they may discover causes for joining MCN.

I agree with Robert Baron and would like my voice added to those hoping MCN
will open the listserv to non-members.  I, like many from small museums
cannot afford all the subscriptions we would like to have.  For us listservs
help us to stay in touch and informed.  I also think we from time to time
contribute to the thoughtfullness that characterizes much of the discussion
on museum-l and other listservs.  Please, Please consider your poorer
comrades in museums.  And yes I would like to join MCN eventually.

Richard Shockley
Ft. Hamilton, Whoop-Up Interpretive Centre
P.O. Box 1074
Lethbridge AB. T1J 4A2
Canada
403-329-0444