Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Joshua Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 22:13:17 -0400
On Oct 5, 10:49am, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> I was hoping that maybe some of the Museum L members could guide me in
> research for a short paper on Piet Mondrian.
> I am a graduate art history student and I need to write a short paper on
> Mondrian.  It could be a comparison of one of his works or about him and
> his thoughts.
> I am looking for a new angle on him and his work and also where I could
> find some research tools.  It is in my mind that I might be able to lead
> this into my dissertation.
>-- End of excerpt from [log in to unmask]

Hi there...
        I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but do you really hope to find a new
angle on Mondrian?  The man has been analyzed to death by hundreds of art
historians and critics.  His theories on composition, his series of trees and
piers, his own development from representational to abstract and
non-objective works are overdone.
        My suggestion would be to discuss him within the De Stijl movement.
Perhaps compare his style to the Bauhaus design school.  Perhaps discuss his
oeuvre relative to other more (or less) advanced contemporary artists.
        I would like, if it is not too much trouble, an update on your final
topic...not that I am interested in Mondrian per se, but in the graduate
system.  As you can see, from my signature below, I am an Art History
Undergraduate student.  I am in my last year, and am applying to graduate
studies programs all across Canada.  I am interested in Canadian art (of the
Inuit and Quebec), but would like to know more about other students'
experiences.

Sincerely,

--
Joshua Heuman