Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 23:44:31 -0700
Marc,
I am also responding to Ken Ames, but thought that some of the basic
considerations might be of value to the list.

Since the site was moist (from time to time) the leather would not be
alum tawed (tawed skins, as well as vellum/parchment, would have
dissolved over the time scale indicated); tanned leather will survive
moist burial for a considerable time, but may have lost (through
leaching) some tannin.

If the leather has not already been dried out, it should be allowed to
slowly dry out.  Oils can be applied while this is happening to retain
some measure of flexibility.  Otherwise, it is entirely possible that the
leather will dry out to a hard, horny, distorted shadow of it's former self.

The pH of the dirt associated with the artifact will play an important
part in the conservation of the piece.  There are a lot of details
governing the appropriate conservation of leather, and the information
required is not contained in the posting below.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab
Portland, OR