Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 1995 12:11:03 EDT
I used to use 60" as a center line.  The galleries I now work in had an
existing system of hanging partition panels who's center was 58" .. so
now I use that.
When intsructing new student interns about the fine points of exhibit
layout and picture hanging, I am always careful to distinguish between
the concepts of "eye level" and "center line."
We normally hang works on a center line, but occassionally two works
which are laid out side by side which are only slightly different in
height are hung with their top lines equal.   Sometimes entire shows
are hung using a top line for all works, usually one which puts the
center line of the smaller works on 58".  This is appropriate only
for shows with limited variation in vertical dimension, but can make
for a pleasing deviation from the slavish devotion to center line
hangings.  Hanging pictures using a bottom line, to me, always looks
extreemly awkward and I never do it.
   What about Labels?  Little discussion has focused on them.  We
normally put 5-line identification labels next to each artwork with
a top of about 50".  Larger panels of descriptive text are always set
with a consistent top line, the bottoms rising and falling depending
on the amount of text; the top line is set by centering the largest
text panel on 58".  We always have checklists and copies of all text
available for our visitors to take around the gallery with them.

   Stephen B. Ringle, Registrar             [log in to unmask]
   University of Maine Museum of Art
   5712 Carnegie Hall, Room 109              vox: 207-581-3257
   Orono, Maine   04469-5712                 fax: 207-581-3083