From:
"AUDREY B. DAVIS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 12:56:57 EST
Robert A. Baron has elevated the discussion considerably. Oh, if
anyone could look into the future and note the effect of web
communication. There is no question many people who have not, would
not, will not venture into museums will at least peek inside on the
web. Who cares whether they ever see "the real thing." With the web
educational opportunities are greater, each of us is becoming a
teacher even if only on a minimal point or two just by corresponding
via web and e-mail. This new forum is getting the juices flowing,
opening up conversations with people we probably never would have met
or talked to, etc.

I enjoy discussing exhibits with those who have seen some I have not
been able to see or might not get to. This seems quite fascinating by
itself. Preparing for exhibits by asking for advice in the planning
stages is also another very big benefit of the net and web.

I also think that some of the down time on the job that creeps into
the normal workday is being employed via net activities and fostering
new interests and intellectual as well as fun things to do.

The net and web should become the most information loaded source yet
invented, if only by bringing people with various types of information
together so quickly, informally and constantly. These conditions
foster learning and intellectual pursuits more than any other
conditions such as sitting in a classroom, listening to a lecturer
(unless very exciting performance), visiting an exhibit (unless very
well designed and organized) and the usual institutional generated
learning centers.

Audrey Davis, National Museum of Dentistry