From:
Karen Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 14:44:13 CST
<snip>
> AAT is a great tool which is being improved at a feverish and
> diligent pace. Standardized thesauri are critical for successful
> global access which is now possible, making the knowledge about our
> collections very useful. At CHS, we use AAT and I would heartily
> endorse it to everyone---standardization of collection data is very
> critical for success in the future.
>
> Robert MacKimmie
> California Historical Society, San Francisco

I couldn't agree more...
This thread started out with a request to find out what kinds of
software/databases museums are using. I have to admit that I was
surprised at how many responses came from museums "growing their
own" software in lieu of commercial packages. While I understand the
cost factors and the desire for complete customization, I am very
concerned about the lack of a controlled vocabulary and strongly
encourage anyone implementing an in-house system to acquire the AAT
(which now incorporated the complete Chenhall nomenclature, by the
way) and incorporate it into their system as lookup tables. This
will help make data retrieval consistent within a single museum and
hopefully will lead us closer to some form of standardization so
that data can be shared/understood by all potential users. One of the
big bonuses of many of the commercial collections management software
packages is that the AAT is or can be built-in. If you don't build in
someone's else's ontrolled vocabulary, for God's sake and the sanity
of your users, please make sure you build one of your own.
Karen W. Anderson, Registrar
Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum
WTAMU Box 967
Canyon, TX 79016 USA