From:
Peter van Mensch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 18:13:27 +0100
>I am looking for some help grounding some possible dissertation topics in
>Museum Information Studies. What I haven't been able to find are the
>scholarly journals that cover museum issues and discuss the theoretical
>points. ([log in to unmask])

Peter Jorgensen,

What does 'Museum Information Studies' mean? It is difficult to suggest
literature without a proper idea what you mean by museum information.
Nevertheless, 'scholarly' periodicals on museology are rare. Try, for
example: ICOFOM Study Series (published by ICOM's International Committee
for Museology, since 1983), New research in museum studies (published by the
Museum Studies Department in Leicester UK, since 1990) and Museological
Review (also published by the Museum Studies Department in Leicester UK,
since 1994). Also worth trying: Museum management and curatorship (published
by Butterworth, since 1982). Less 'scholarly' (?) but very relevant are
Museum News and Museums Journal and also Curator (of course there are
more!). Don't forget ICOM's International Committee for Documentation
(CIDOC). I am surprised you need this museum discussion list for this type
of suggestions.

Peter van Mensch
lecturer of theoretical museology and museum ethics
Reinwardt Academie
Dapperstraat 315
1093 BS Amsterdam

e-mail [log in to unmask]