From:
Suzanne Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 1995 09:20:00 -0500
Well,

Since this article was posted relatively anonymously, I'm reluctant to
start a thread, but this is an extremely biased view of what Harry Parker
did (and he couldn't have done *anything* all by himself!).  His side is
nowhere represented.  And, it sounds to me that Lee Miller (curator) is
quoted, not only out of context, but in such a way as to imply that Miller
opposes the director (Parker's) decision.

I don't know how many of you have 3 million pounds of stone sitting around
in storage (storage that you have to pay for out of a disappearing budget)
for 54 years.  But one has to wonder, if the reconstruction will ever
happen, if the Spanish monastery stones are in keeping with the mission of
the museum, if the cost of storage, curation, registration, inventory are
worth it after all those years with little hope of
installation/reconstruction.   If Parker did give this away to the monks in
Chico, it seems a far more appropriate home for the stuff than the
warehouse!  And, Parker surely did not "give" the stuff away without the
full knowledge and backing of his Board of Directors!

This article could do with a good deal more criticism for its inflamatory
and distorted nature, but I think museum folks all catch the drift here,
especially since Walter Biller (the author and leader of the Knights of the
Spanish Abbey) quotes himself liberally.  Please spare me from such
anti-museological drivel!

This opinion is clearly my own, I am not speaking for my institution.

Suzanne Quigley, who was in an otherwise very pleasant mood today