From:
Ivy Strickler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 10:56:54 -0400
First of all, let me thank those who responded to mt query about entering
missing items into our database. We are continuing to archive the old
cards, so even if we didn't enter items which were deaccessioned in the
past, we would still have a way to trace them. I will enter newly donated
but not yet found items, as you all suggested.

Now, regarding breakage. I don't think it's necessary to flame Anita for
asking a perfectly good question. I don't know what libraries do with old
books meself!

Our particular loss was a small glass vase, c. 1920, which was appraised
at $8. It was in tiny pieces and we elected to dustbin it. If it were
older, rarer, or more repairable, we would have saved it. If the donation
had had great sentimental value to the donor, I would have written a
grovelling note of apology. As it is, I'm keeping an eye out in flea
markets for one just like it.

My predeccessors left us with lots of little envelopes mysteriously marked
"fragments." Is this a more rigorous kind of conservation? What *do* the
rest of you do with situations like this?