From:
James S MArtin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 23:14:39 -0400
Anyone having knowledge of the materials and techniques of construction
of the racket battoir, or battledor, please read this message.  We are
presently studying such an object and are seeking comparative
information.  The racket we are studying weighs 125.6 grams and is 44.5
cm in length, 44.5 cm in breadth (measured across the head which
constitutes approximately one-half the length of the racket).  It is
constructed of a softwood frame, and the racket head is hollow.

The grip is wrapped with parchment (by visual examination, protein by
FT-IR) tape beginning at the terminal end.  The racket head is covered on
both sides with parchment which is sewn together around the rim edge like
a drum head.  The rim edge was then covered with parchment to conceal the
stitching.  Surface examination reveals blue fibers embedded in the
exposed parchment surface (at loss and abrasion) on the head, but not on
the grip.  Analysis of the fibers indicates a dyed bast fiber (probably
indigo, PLM, FT-IR).  White cotton and bast fibers are also observed
within a tear at the base of the racket head.

The racket head was painted white (calcium carbonate in protein, PLM
SEM-EDS and FT-IR).  The rim edge was then painted red (red lead and
vermilion in oil, PLM, SEM-EDS and FT-IR).  Red paint was also used for
identical decoration on both sides of the head (an arc and six-pointed
star) and for a band between the head and grip.  The red decoration was
then outlined with black paint (carbon-based black in oil, PLM, SEM-EDS
and FT-IR).  FT-IR spectra of the red and black paint reveal strong
absorption at 1533 and 1408 wavenumbers which may indicate a lead drier
(Pb was identified in both paint layers, SEM-EDS).  No paint was applied
to the grip.

In the absence of an apparent material anachronism to help date the
object, we seek comparative data for objects of this type.  Replies not
of general interest to the group may be sent to me directly.  Thanks in
advance.

James Martin
Director of Analytical Services and Research
Williamstown Art Conservation Center
Williamstown, MA
tel: 413/458-5741; fax: 413/458-2314