From:
laura aaron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 08:26:25 -0200
Volunteers have played a wide variety of roles in the museums with which I
have worked. Some have titles (such as "docent"), most do not. I do feel
strongly about the word "intern," however. When a student approaches me
about volunteering to gain experience and a deeper understanding of the
museum field, I offer them two options: "volunteer" -- someone who helps out
in various ways, not necessarily the same hours each week, often being
called upon for special events, etc.; and "intern" -- someone who has
regular hours of at LEAST ten hours per week, a specific project on which
they are working (and are expected to complete), as well as performing
additional tasks as needed. I require interns to submit a resume and come in
for an interview (hey, it's great practice!). Although they are not paid, I
suppose I expect more from an "intern" as they are usually looking for
pre-professional experience.  Besides, that's the way I got started in the
field!
Laura Aaron                                [log in to unmask]
Curator of Education                       phone: 503-346-0966
University of Oregon Museum of Art         FAX: 503-346-2220
Eugene, OR  97403-1223