From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 11:17:39 EST
     I don't know, off the top of my head, any museum people who are
     lawyers by training except for Ashton Hawkins, who's the
     Metropolitan Museums' Executive VP and Counsel to the Board.
     Actually, I just assume he's  lawyer because of his title.

     NYU has a good museum training program and, of course, a good law
     school. Columbia's law school is another good'un, and I know that
     they used to have an active arts administration program, I'm not
     sure how it is now, or even if it is now.

     Assuming you're willing to make the investment in time for
     relatively little financial reward, I personally think that it is
     a marketable combination. But, after yr three years in law
     school, I wouldn't expect to get offered a really senior
     position, even with museum administration coursework. You'd
     probably still have to pay some dues (unless you have extensive
     work experience in museums or other nfp's like universities).

     What kind of position do you envision? Usually the administrative
     functions of museums are managed by financial/administrative
     types, with MBA-style degrees. Lawyer work is almost always
     contracted out. Director/President/CEO types in museums almost
     always have one of three backgrounds: curatorial or fundraising
     or long track records of museum administration though some also
     come from academic administration.

     Good luck.

     Eric Siegel