From:
david franklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 16:19:00 GMT
We are a National Museum who's WWW server is located on the JANET
network in the UK. We are planning a series of WWW photography shows
and see bandwidth limitations slowing access outside our UK domain as the
main drawback. The first is planned for November on the theme of Death.
Our homepage is built with a minimum of in-line graphics, but for
photographic shows we need to offer biggish files.

* Would any of our well connected colleagues outside the UK be able
to help by mirroring this show?

Naturally I would expect you to want to see it before making
any kind of commitment, but if you may be interested please
email me or if international bandwidth is a common problem
then post to this thread. i.e.

* Is mirroring the best short term fix?
* If so should we set up a mirror system for museums?
* What would such a system consist of?

 - to get the ball rolling I would be willing to maintain a list of
museums who want mirrors or have server space to offer should
this thread suggest that there is both a demand for it and enough
willing hosts. Maybe this could provide a starting place for
museums seeking one-off arrangements or perhaps longer term
mutual mirroring agreements with other institutions. - Any comments?

Every site would benefit from mirrors. Let's get organised before the web
comes to a grinding halt or becomes effectively fragmented into
national domains.
--
David Franklin
National Museum of Photography,Film and Television