From:
HNEEDHAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 1995 07:16:48 +0000
Ingrid;

The Children's Museum of the Canadian Museum of Civilization, located in Hull,
Quebec (just across the river from Ottawa, Ontario) is by far Canada's largest
children's museum. Unlike most children's museums, which seem to have a major
emphasis on science and/or natural history, our cm aims to provide children
with a place to learn about the world's cultures - how they differ from each
other and why, leading to the appreciation that, while someone's culture is
different from one's own, there are valid reasons for this and other cultures
are not second-rate simply because they differ from one's own. A tough mandate,
and one of which achievement is difficult to measure - yet we had some
astonishingly positive results when we evaluated it. For a copy of the
evaluation, contact David Demant at Scienceworks, who has a copy on diskette.
Or send me an email, and I'll send you (or anyone else who is interested!) one
for your very own!!! We have since more than doubled the size of the cm and it
is packing them in.

Contacts at the cm:

kim.mcdougall(at)cmcc.muse.digital.ca
lynn.mcmaster(at)cmcc.muse.digital.ca

or, if you're truly desperate, me,

harry.needham(at)cmcc.muse.digital.ca

PLEASE NOTE;OUR WEIRD LAN INTERPRETS THE USUAL (AT) SYMBOL AS A CONTROL CODE.
TO USE THE EMAIL ADDRESSES LISTED, SUBSTITUTE THE USUAL CHARACTER FOR THE
"(AT)".

Other children's museums you should consider: Get a copy of the Visitor Studies
Network membership list from Carolyn Meehan, David D., Boyce Pizzey, Chris
Barry or Lorraine Langmuir - there are several good US children's museums
listed. You should also have a look at Katrina Stamp's very interesting
discovery gallery at the Auckland Museum. My spies in NZ tell me that Capital
Discovery Place in Wellington is still closed, so that is at least temporarily
unavailable.
Kim/Lynn can point you to several great cms in the USA not on my list.

Good lucj!

Harry