From:
Bruce Bustard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 1995 09:34:35 -0400
>>> Doug Kendall <[log in to unmask]> 08/01/95 05:37pm

Have folks on the list dealt with this question?  Many of the works
produced by artists and craftspersons under various WPA projects
were loaned during the late 1930s and early 1940s to all sorts of state
governmental agencies and quasi-governmental groups.  Many, if not all,
of these works carried a tag indicating they were loans and that they
were the property of the
Federal Art Project.  Once the Federal Art Project passed out of
existence, did another federal agency inherit responsibility for these
artifacts and artworks?  Does any agency of the federal government
continue to maintain ownership of these paintings?  Who has legal title to
such things?

Any and all responses--either privately or to the list--will be appreciated.

Doug Kendall, Curator of Domestic Life
State Historical Society of Wisconsin, Museum Division
816 State St., Madison WI 53706; (608)-264-6552 e-mail:

Doug:

I am not a lawyer, but I am working on an exhibit dealing with the New
Deal Arts projects, so I am familiar with some of the history of the
projects.  As I understand it, during their last years (post-1939) the arts
projects were basically under state control.  That is why so many of the
records and artworks went to state historical agencies and local
museums.  In addition, when the Federal Art Projects went out of
existence many of the works created by the projects were indefinately
"allocated" to various museums around the country. (The National
Archives has some of the correspondence regarding these transfers in
its WPA records.)  I suppose the federal government could argue all
these works are government property and try to reclaim them, but I don't
think it has any interest in doing this, especially given current attitudes
about the federal government and the arts.  GSA does maintain a fine
arts collection that contains many examples of WPA and other New Deal
art project art.

For my exhibit, I am assuming that the works held by the Archives are
works done on government time for government pay and that they are in
the public domain.   Naturally, if I borrow items from other museums I will
honor their agreements made with artists or institutions and cite them
accordingly.

It occurs to me that maybe my understanding of all this is muddled or
oversimplified.  I would appreciate hearing what others think.   Hope this
helps.

Bruce Bustard
Exhibits Branch, National Archives, Washington, DC