From:
BOYLAN P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 12:57:47 +0100
Valerie:

Sorry about the delay in replying - have been away.

The Smithsonian was for many years the official duplicate repository for
all ICOM materials. (Your fiche documents are all indexed in the annual ICOM
bibliographies and on the UNESCO-ICOM CD-ROM and on-line on CHIN).

I am sure the under-use is due to lack of knowledge rather than interest.

However, there are two very important current developments - short-term
work on a 50th anniversary history of ICOM for Nov. 1996 by Sid Ahmed
Baghli, (Algeria) Yani Herreman (Mexico) and myself, and I am sure than
any of us would give a tooth or two if the fiches could be loaned to an
appropriate secure library near us (eg. our University Library here in
London) during the research period.  (Our copy date is May 1996).

Longer term, the Centre de Documentation of the Direction des Musees de
France, Paris, is taking over much of the ICOM Doc. Centre material - but
not ICOM's own publications, and if your fiches are really surplus to
your requirements then I am sure they would be delighted to have them.

Patrick Boylan
(Vice-Presdient of ICOM)
City University, London, UK