From:
"R. Murphy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 1995 13:38:34 GMT
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Just a bit sensitive here.... Do you mean the DIAS foundation or the
> Detroit Institute of Arts (we go by DIA, too - we don't pronounce it
> though, we spell it).

I meant the DIA Foundation (pronounced DEEA) which started out funding
large-scale, long-term art site projects by Walter de Maria, Donald Judd and
many others, has had an excellent exhibition space in the Chelsea
area of Manhattan for the past few years that has given ample space
and time for exhibitions by American and European artists (Ann Hamilton,
Joseph Beuys) and plans to open a museum there very soon.

There's an excellent article by Douglas Davis in the February issue
of Art in America about the Multicultural Wars where he lays out
his proposals to counter the current attack on the arts and humanities.
His is one of the saner voices these days.

AND (plug, plug, plug) you can still find Douglas' piece "The World's
Longest Sentence" and his essay on Art in the Age of Digital Reproduction
on the ArtNetWeb site on Downtown Anywhere:

http://www.awa.com

BTW: We are in the planning stages of an online web project that will
originate from the Negev Desert in Israel as well as a hyper-symposium
that will evolve out of an interview Saul Ostrow did with influencial
art critic Clement Greenberg just before he died (I want to call
it HyperClem).

Any museums (especially small ones) out there with proposals for
online projects feel free to send them my way.
And if you're in New York drop by our newly opened Internet Reading
Room at 426 Broome, Tues-Sat, 9-5 and say hi.

Robbin Murphy
Managing Editor, ArtNetWeb