Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Andrea Witcomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:55:47 +0010
I am a PhD student at Central Queensland University in Australia. I am
wondering if someone may be able to help me. I am writing a chapter on the
displacement of objects in museums due to electronic technologies. As part
of this chapter, I would like to have a section dealing with the fact that
museums have become a symbol for virtual reality/cyberspace (as an
architectural icon) just at the time that museums themselves are taking up
residence on the net. I am thinking here of movies like Disclosure where a
museum like space is the gateway to virtual space, or of documentaries on
cyberspace which also use the facades of nineteeth century museums as
symbols for the hypertext like qualities of virtual space. Does anyone know
of any critical literature dealing with this phenomenon? Its easy to find
lots of articles on museums and the net (information on home pages of
museums etc.) but I am finding it harder to locate articles which explore
this as a cultural phenomenon. Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance

Andrea Witcomb