Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 23:59:37 -0500
On         Wed, 1 Nov 1995 Beth Parker Miller <[log in to unmask]> said:

>-----------------------
>Sender:       Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
>Poster:       Beth Parker Miller <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Q&A and Willoughby's SNAP
>
>Is there anyone on the this list who runs Willoughby's SNAP for DOS or
>Symantec's Q&A for DOS while running Windows?  Is there anyone who runs
>SNAP for DOS or Q&A for DOS using a Windows for Workgroups network?
>
>If so, I would like to know how well the program(s) have run and
>what problems you may have encountered.
>
>Please contact me directly.  Thank you.
>

>Beth Parker Miller
>Hagley Museum and Library

Beth et al.

I run Q&A for DOS ver 4.0 under Windows 3.1 without incident or difficulty.
 I believe that I did have to load SHARE in my autoexec.bat before windows
was called, in order for the files to open correctly.  I use Q&A in a
non-networked environment, but have used it broadly in all its aspects with
large files and highly programed databases.  The only difficulty I have had
is a sometimes slowness (maybe once out of every fifty times) in loading or
quitting the program.

Q&A will not run in a 3.1 window, it requires the full DOS screen.  However
you can put it into a window in order to paste data to it, or copy data
from it, but during this time all communications with the program itself
are frozen.

If you are thinking of acquiring SNAP you should ask Willoughby if they are
planning to rewrite the program for Q&A version 5.0, which has a number of
features that should prove exceptionally useful for museum systems.
--

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant
P.O. Box 93, Larchmont, NY 10538