Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Mitchell / Gillian Anne (SCI)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 1995 16:12:48 +1000
Comments:
Dear All,

        I am a conservation student in Canberra, Australia.  I am
currently researching the problems associated with and specific to the
storage of plastics in collections.  I would like to compile a list of
storage conditions for plastics at specific institutions with an eye to
comparing the most effective ideal conditions with those that are
currently being used on an international scale.

        I would  appreciate comments based on the following topics
by anybody based in an institution with plastics in their collections.  I
would appreciate input from as many people as are willing, regardless of
the quality of their present storage systems. From those specifically
designed for plastics to those where plastics were/are not taken into
account in the design or the upkeep of the storage facility.

        The topics I am interested in covering include the following:

        1. RH range achieved and reasons for selection of those levels.
        2. Illumination levels and steps taken to eliminate UV
           radiation.
        3. Temperature range and reasons for selection of those temperatures.
        4. Control of atmospheric pollutants including particulate matter,
           ozone, sulphur and nitrogen compounds.  Have any steps been taken to
           create low oxygen storage conditions?
        5. Steps taken to deal with off gassing from plastics such as nitrates,
           acetates and PVC's and steps taken to minimise loss of
           plasticisers.
        6. Steps taken to reduce  physical stress and the materials used as
           supports.
        7. Construction materials of storage facilities.
        8. Existence of monitoring programs and saftey procedures, for
           example when dealing with cellulose nitrates.

        Could you please reply to me at:[log in to unmask]
Should anyone be interested I will make my results avaliable on
request.  Thanking you in advance,

Yours sincerely

Gillian Mitchell

Student in Conservation of Cultural Materials
University of Canberra
Australia