Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 13:39:04 -0700
On Thu, 31 Aug 1995, Ivy Strickler wrote:

> So far we have
> limited our computer catalog to only those items which have actually been
> inventoried, on the theory that the existing card catalog may contain cards
> for items no longer in our possession. Now, here's the question...
>
> Does it make sense to make up entries for the
> missing items and just fill in location later? What about the broken item?
> Any and all suggestions gratefully appreciated.

I highly recommend that you make entries for missing or formerly owned
items before you consider your job finished.  The day someone comes
looking for the prized teacup that her grandmother donated -- that was
broken to smithereens in an earthquake -- you will be glad you can
quickly answer the question of "where is it?"

Even if you no longer own an item, it is part of your institution's
history.  While computerizing its record is certainly not as important as
updating the records for the items you still care for, there is a good
reason (or two) to do it eventually.

Susan Wageman
The Tech Museum of Innovation (former registrar)