Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 19:55:20 +0000
Thanks for your prompt response, especially since you seem to be aware
of what the climate in Ripon is really like--we've been sweltering all
summer, but winter could be worse.
The museum was intended to instill more of a sense of tradition in the
campus community.  As such, it is merely an extension of the archives in
collection scope: items that pertain to the history of the campus. I
think it has succeeded more with the alumni during the summer than
perhaps with our student population. The room doubles as a lounge and
usually I plan it so that fragile items are not on display for more than
short-term events.
Still, I do think that it is nearly physically impossible with my hours
and budget to do a "professional" job of it and the climate control will
always be an issue in this building--the location was originally seen as
temporary.
Because of a tremendous volunteer effort by campus people and
involvement of students and classes and my beyond-the-contract hours, we
have perhaps been more successful than was the intent of the
administrators at the time.  It's a low cost venture, other than climate
control and professional exhibit work, because we get our material from
our alumni, thereby involving them in the college in a non-fundraising
way.  However, in this case sometimes success breeds higher expectations
than I can meet with the time and status I have. Still It is very
gratifying  in w ays that are different from the archives.

I bought the humidifier because nothing will stay on the paneled walls
in the winter and the furniture begins to dissasemble. The
air-conditioner I hoped  would dehumidify.  I am currently agonizing
over purchasing an air purifier--the budget this year does contain about
$1500 to improve some of the climate control problems, but I am not too
knowledgeable on this subject.

Truly, the campus is a good place to work and although the frustrations
are by now almost expected, the feedback is very fortifying.  I think it
is a matter of educationing the administrators and others to the concept
of preservation and conservation and even there I see some progress

I appreciate your note.  What is your connection to Ripon? Don't give us
on us little ones yet.