Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kyrin Ealy Hobson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 10:37:03 -0400
Dear Museum Colleagues:

I am in the process of developing a consortium that supports access to
exhibitions, programs and educational resources that focus on African and
African American art in the Los Angeles community. I've been working with
dedicated professionals from 22 local institutions to examine the
possibilities for collaborative projects, resource sharing, joint program
listings, shared outreach efforts, technical assistance, etc. We've had seven
meetings, plus a major conference at UCLA in the past 18 months. The  two-day
conference, "Envisioning Access: Black Representation and Museums," attracted
over 135 participants.  It also established both the need  for efforts to
extend museum resources to diverse L.A. communities and a high level of
interest among museum professionals in stimulating and supporting African and
African American centered exhibitions and programs.

My question as we are trying to move forward with writing a planning proposal
to formalize this effort is--Does anyone out there know of similar efforts?
It would be very helpful to compare notes on the strategies employed by
others who have sought partnerships; shared listings or lists; done a
multi-institution project or newsletter; or sought to promote community
interest and institutional programming related to any particular interest in
museums.

Thanks in advance to those users who will compare notes with me.

Sincerely,

Kyrin Ealy Hobson
Director of Development
UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History