Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 12:34:45 -0700
Jim Angus of the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County posts:

If you're not using Netscape 1.1N, don't bother looking at the
presentation, it'll look like garbage. I'm also writing a simple,
less fancy version for other browsers

Given the wild success success of the Internet and Web access, is
anyone upset by the fact that Netscape is a bit of "the tail waging
the dog"?

The major success that has made Internet communication so successful
is open-standards and a lack of proprietary formats. HTML is a
commonly agreed upon standard, so why is the community at large,
especially the museum crowd who could really use open-standards
access for once, supporting a migration back to proprietary formats
for information delivery?

I am just curious if the field at large is interested in being vocal
to the software providers, or is the museum community following
whatever direction software vendors feel like going?

A scruffy inquiry I know, but I am very curious to know what those in
the trenches think.

Robert MacKimmie
California Historical Society, San Francisco