Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 07:15:17 +0000
>I am aware of inexpensive ($50-100)
>electronic measuring devices that give instantaneous readings of temp and
>RH and are quickly and easily calibrated, we have one and it works
>beautifully.  However, we need to have an accessible record, hard copy or
>electronic, and the electronic instruments I'm familiar with don't have
>that  capability.

In a similar situation, we have been using a Davis weather station ($400)
which collects outside weather data and downloads it to a Mac or PC.  This
gets rainfall, windspeed, barometric pressure, as well as temp. and rh.

The connection is a serial connection to a computer for data storage. They
also have instructions for using a modem to hook it up.  We recently
connected it to our network using a "NetSerial" so now we can access the
weather data from any computer on the network.

This weather station has worked so well, that I have also just begun to look
at other ways we can hook up measuring devices and get rid of those creaky
old mechanical things.

One product called CNX is a networkable data acquistion and control "black
box" with multiple inputs and outputs which you can attach to electronic
devices to capture data.  This would let us monitor specific functions.
They say to use Radio Shack monitoring devices. I have to follow this up.

Let me know what you find out.

Guy Hermann         |  Mystic Seaport Museum
[log in to unmask]      |  Mystic, Conn., USA