Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Michael Comiskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 18:01:28 GMT
Kevin Canze ([log in to unmask]) asked :

>         I would think someone has put together a system that can download
> statistics like Temp. and RH to a computer and use relatively simple
> software to store the information electronically.  Is it still necessary
> to use 100-year-old equipment to record info on paper charts that end
> up in deep storage almost immediately after they're taken off the
> instruments?
>         Thanks in advance for any insights, information, suggestions on
> this subject.

Here at the Ulster Museum we have used two such monitoring systems for the last
few months to monitor conditions in various parts of our stores. They are
called Squirrels and they are sold by a firm in England called Grant
Instruments. Each one costs several hundred UKpounds and can take readings
from up to 8 temperature and RH probes at once.

Grant provide software to link each Squirrel to a PC so it can download several
weeks of readings. The software also will provide graphs of some or all of the
readings and output the graphs to plotters or printers, or to Lotus compatible
spreadsheet files. I don't have the address on me at the moment, but I will
contact our conservation department and find out.

Ciao for Now, Michael
--
Michael Comiskey, System Manager, Registry
Ulster Museum, Botanic Gardens, Belfast, Northern Ireland BT9 5AB