Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 07:09:16 +0000
>My point is that
>the architecture of the space has a tremendous amount to do with the
>educational impact of the museum and this is lost in the virtual museum.

The space in the Holocaust Museum certainly does contribute to the impact.
This museum is also a place to look at what technology can do.  The
interactive "Learning Center" there is a completely different space with a
completely different purpose and I would argue that it is equally effective
as the gallery spaces, although in very different ways.

As Robert points out, the virtual is not supposed to replace the actual.  It
supplements it.  People _cry_ while browsing the material available on the
computer screens at the Holocaust Museum.  Because of the rich array of
material available and because searching can be defined by the visitor, the
experience is perhaps _more_ personal.  It is certainly different and
probably not directly comparable to visiting the formal exhibits.

Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Mystic Seaport
The Museum of America and the Sea
Mystic, Conn., USA