Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Richard Chute <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 1994 13:00:22 -0800
I'm not well-versed in the history of libraries in the U.S., but perhaps
someone on the list (someone with an MLS?) could comment on the role of
libraries in maintaining an informed, well-educated electorate?  Where I
live in Los Angeles County, County libraries are also taking a beating
financially, with millions pulled from their budgets.  One of the arguments
being made for maintaining funding is their "historical role in preserving
democracy" (by promoting literacy and by providing free access to accurate
information, sort of like a free press).

Personally, I see both similarities and dissimilarities between museums and
libraries, but libraries seem to have been around longer and have a more
culturally accepted role.  Right or wrong, people I know feel on an
intuitive level that they understand what a library is better than they
understand a museum.

I would guess that we in museums do need to work harder to "make our case."

Richard Chute                           [log in to unmask]

Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden         Claremont, CA 91711
Phone:  (909) 625-8767, ext. 222
FAX:  (909) 626-6760