From:
"R.E.Singer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 14:33:56 GMT0BST
Date sent:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 22:03:20 -0600
Send reply to:  Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
From:           Deborah Baroff <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:        Re: storing old records
To:             Multiple recipients of list MUSEUM-L <[log in to unmask]>

Miriam - Lying documents flat is the best way to store them.
Since we already have map cases where we keep our USGS
(Geological Survey) maps, I've just taken over a few drawers to
store oversized items in.  I like this idea best, but I guess map
cases can be costly.  You could do a price check between
them and acid-free boxes.

Try to take as many creases and folds as possible out of your
documents.  Large acid-free folders work great for seperating
items and this make it easier to retrieve, and safer,  too.

Deborah Baroff, Curator of Special Collections
Museum of the Great Plains   Lawton, OK

--
Registered ICC User
check out http://www.usefulware.com/icc.html

miriam,
i'm no expert, but i'm sure yopu by now know that records must be
kept upright on thier edge, toatlly verticall with no pressure from
either side. they are best packed quite tightly so they do not lean.
Anti-static liners are nesc. to keep them dust free and in playable
condition. I can possibly find out more, and of suppliers of liners
at least, in the uk.  Its also a good idea to have them cleaned on a
professional machine, if they are ever going to be played

Ruth Singer