From:
Maggie Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 09:21:07 PDT
Stephen Nowlin ([log in to unmask]) writes:

I received it too, and dumped it in the trash where it belongs.  I briefly
considered flaming, but was afraid I might get placed on a list to receive
future loads of the same crap.

I dont know how it found me.  Either through one of the newsgroups I
subscribe to or an online directory.

  From what I understand, it was probably the latter. The word from
  news.admin.net-abuse.misc is that the spammers seem to have used an
  online directory (Internet White Pages was one possibility mentioned)
  as a source for names.  My personal observation is that whatever directory
  they used was not a very current one; at the BBS my husband and I run, we
  received a copy addressed to a former subscriber who had changed to another
  provider two years ago!

  I also understand that there now exists a horde of deeply peeved system
  administrators and interested netizens intent on nailing these Spam-vermin,
  so I entertain hopes that some sort of justice may be done.

  (news.admin.net-abuse.misc is a good place to check out what the latest
  scams and spams are. Depressing sometimes, but useful)

Regards,

Maggie Young
SMASCH Project
University of California, Berkeley