From:
Stepanka Behalova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 02:22:39 -0600
Hallo,

I have a  problem: I have been  studying at the Faculty  of Arts,
Charles University in Prague (Phd degree) and now I am prepareing
some  comparative  work  about  museum  libraries  in  the  Czech
Republic  and the  United States  of America.  I need information
about  small  and  large  museum  libraries  in  the  USA.  Small
libraries are our  regional museum libraries (with about  10 - 50
000 volumes),  large libraries are  libraries with 1  000 000 and
more books on  file. I could probably compare  the Library of the
District  Museum of  Jindrichuv Hradec  with one  of the Regional
Museum Libraries in the U.S.A. and the National Museum Library in
Prague, the  main museum library in  the country with one  of the
major libraries in the U.S.A.

Let  me  relay  some  information  about  The  Museum  Library of
Jindrichuv Hradec  (The District Museum of  Jindrichuv Hradec) to
you:
We  have 20  000 volumes,  10  000  volumes are  a collection  of
special subject literature, 10 000 are a collection of old books,
manuscripts,  books  printed  in  Jindrichuv  Hradec  and printed
ballads. Our books are not  available for take-out loans. We have
about  100 to  150 researchers  per year,  some of them scholars,
some  retires  and  some  students.   Our  staff  consists  of  1
librarian, who is a HS graduate, and 1 librarian with a MA degree
from Charles University. Our library is member of the Association
of  Libraries  of  the  Czech  republic  (Sdruzeni knihoven Ceske
republiky), The  Museum is member  of the Association  of Museums
and  Galleries of  the Czech  republic (Asociace  muzei a galerii
v Ceske republice).

Would  you kindly  send me  the following  information about your
library!
The name of your library
The number of volumes in your  collection (the size of your index
- subject books, collection books)
The  number of  take-out loans  (how many  walk-in borrowers, how
many inter-library and per-mail borrowers)
The divisions of your  collections
The  number of  researchers (the  age categories  of scholars and
readers-only)
The number of  researchers' inquiries
The number of employees, their ranking, education
Sources of financing
Your Institutions (Library's or  Museum's) membership in national
and international organizations
Any other relevant information about your library

                                Stepanka Behalova