From:
Robert Walden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 1995 01:43:30 -0500
I recently heard that the entire Valentine Museum of Richmond, VA is up on
the auction block (collections, real estate, library...).  It9s astounding
that this one hundred-plus year old institution will most likely cease to
exist (and that Richmond would stand by and allow it to happen!).  I
visited the Valentine a couple of years ago and as quite impressed by
their extensive costume collection.  They also have some extraordinary
photographs from the Civil War era - including a fair amount of Richmond
after the fire.
As I understand it (this from a former employee), the museum as plagued by
a string of bad luck, compounded by some bitter in-fighting and political
intrigue.  Apparently, the best the current director can do is sell it all
off to the highest bidder.
The saddest aspect is the genuine loss of so many years of work and momentum.

Rob Walden

--
Robert Walden - Asst. Director
CMHA