From:
"Lucia I. Dorsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 1995 13:47:54 -0500
I would be very interested in consulting vendors and other commercial
resources for museums on-line.  I find the Internet to be a faster, more
user-friendly, and more interesting way of going shopping than the
combination of yellow pages and telephone book.  However, I DON'T want to
shop on MUSEUM-L.  IMHO, this is not the appropriate place for ads.

Jan-- why not consider developing your own home page on the WWW and getting
it linked up to some good search engines?  It's the new wave in
advertising.  Even non-profits are advertising this way.  Prospective
customers will find you.  But, please, not on the list.  (I like to think
of this list, and others like it, as a sort of commercial-free PBS or NPR
on the Internet.)

Cheers.

>This response to the question of advertisements on this or any other
>discussion board in on the button. There are commercial spaces available on
>the internet. Personal advertisements as well as virtual malls are
>available. The irritation factor is the equivalent of the 10 minutes of
>advertisements that preceed the feature of a rental movie video.
>
>>I think [list advertistment] is a bad idea.  There is enough drivel on the
>>Internet without
>>opening the fllodgates to advertising.  I get over 40 messages per day- I
>>don't want you or anyone else shilling in a space that is relatively
>>advertisement free. Try late night UHF TV.  I am
>>confident most replies you recieve regarding your query will echo mine.
>>

>>> How does everyone on this list feel about blatant advertising?
>>>

>Cordially,
>
>Don R. Reynolds, Natural History Museum, 900 Exposition Boulevard
>Los Angeles, California 90007
>213 744 3232 voice, 213 746 2999 FAX, http://www.usc.edu/lacmnh

Lucia I. Dorsey
Coordinator