From:
Nmhm Afip <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 15:06:24 EST
I agree with Ms. Laitman's approach on computerization of the catalog.
However, I would have only one suggestion.  Instead of having a handwritten
catalog sheet, I would suggest entering the information straight into the
computer, editing the information on the screen and then printing out the
catalogue sheet, along with the  catalogue cards.
The following advantages are:
        a) Eliminates one step and therefore speeds up the process.
        b) Makes the cataloging process a bit more interesting for the
           cataloger.
        c) Since entering a lot of information from sheets of paper is
           incredibly boring, this minimizes error.
It helps if you have several computers.  However, you can pick up a 286 or
an IBM AT for a song, so this is not a problem.  You edit the information on
the spare computers and transfer the data via floppy to the main computer to
add to the main database.
From:    "Laitman, Elizabeth X." <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re[2]: computerization of catalog