From:
"J. McCrain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 02:51:01 GMT
The Texas Association of Museums (TAM) annual meeting will be held in
Dallas, Texas, April 10-13, 1996.  One of the activities that is
(tentatively) being planned is an informal "get together" of museum
studies graduates.  During this time, they will discuss what jobs they
have, what jobs they want, what jobs they DON'T have, how they got the
jobs, etc..

While this is not exactly what was asked for at the AAM meeting, it is a
start in the right direction.

I can sympathise and empathise with the museum studies graduates that
can't find work in our field.  I was in that same situation a few years
back.  However, I am living proof that if you keep trying, you will
eventually find something.  (It may not be exactly what you want, but it
WILL happen.)  Do not loose faith or hope.  While you are looking,
volunteer your expertise at a loacl museum, just to "keep your hand in
it."  This will look good on your resume, and help you fine tune the book
learning you have received.  It might also prove to the museum that you
volunteer for that they cannot function without you, thus opening up a
position.  (Hey, it happens!)

Once you DO land a job, make it one of your priorities, as I have, to
help your fellow students.  I will do anything I can to give a museum
studies graduate a shot.  You should, too.

Jim McCrain
Chief Curator
Old City Park
Dallas, Texas