From:
Trina Semorile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 1995 22:27:33 GMT
Mary Christine Devinney ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Hello

: I am a volunteer at the National Firearms Museum (NFM), a department of the
: NRA.  The NFM is trying to get approval to get the museum staff online, but
: the higher ups in the NRA are concerned that giving the museum access to the
: internet will allow a hacker to get into the NRA membership database, which
: is on its own server.

: Now, we know this is not likely BUT they (the higher ups) refuse to give us
: even a modem until we can "prove" that other museums with similar security
: issues are on the net and it is not a problem for them.

: Help us convince them to let us online by telling us of your security
: concerns and how the net did or did not make security worse.  In particular
: they would like to hear from small museums in the DC area as that is where we
: are.

The problem lies in trying to use logic on the paranoid.  Then again,
maybe you should feed it by mentioning Microsoft's current scheme to
"retrieve" your (anybody's) directories (and, potentially, files) while
you're happily testing Windows95--the better to serve you, only, of
course...

Or tempt them with the vicarious thrill of joining the ACLU newsgroup...

Or better, alt.tv.x-files

or best, alt.conspiracies

(the possibilities are endless...)

: Just my telling them that this can't happen is not enough.  Not even hearing
: it from my husband who programs for one of the 3 big Online Services worked!

Tsk and pshaw for working for the NRA in the first place; really, whatever
did you expect.

T. Semorile