From:
Joseph M Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 1995 11:04:09 -0700
Quintanna,

I have been lucky enough - or crazy enough to have been involved in two
science museum start-ups, one in NYC, the other in San Jose. They both
had a particular exhibit philosophy which I believed in.

The kind of museum you invision is an important starting point for discussion.
Do you see your institution purchasing a set of exhibits from an
established Center or will you have you own exhibit staff which can
struggle with the birthing process and give the place a sense of being
alive? (You can probably tell where my sentiment lies)

It's okay to get a set of exhibits from someplace else to start off with.
Your staff can learn a lot about exhibits from these successful ones. But
the only way to become your own place is to build your own exhibits. This
can sometimes (often probably) be more expensive than buying them. I
sometimes use the Cookbooks, but even following them closely I can never
make an exhibit exactly the same as they do. This helps make my place
different and gives it a character of its own. Be your own place with a
life of its own.

Joe Ruggiero